Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Wonders of Spray Paint

Transforming an item from junk to treasure gives me a thrill, and often times all that is needed is a little spray paint.   My decorating style has been described by several of my close friends as “eclectic” and I tend to agree.  I like to have unique, one of kind, decorative pieces in my home, not just something I buy off the shelf and hang on the wall.  Several of these pieces have needed nothing more than a simple facelift from a can of spray paint. 

Green Metal Bucket – this was originally painted blue, faded and contained a house plant that I rescued.  The plant died, so I washed out the bucket, repainted it and now it holds board games (including my favorites Apples to Apples and Scrabble J)


Bedroom Mirror/Candle Holders – mirror from Marshalls – was originally black and the candle holders, from Bargain Bills – were white.  I picked a complementary color for my bedroom for this look


Towel Holder in Bathroom – purchased at Pier One – I didn’t care for the color, so I sprayed it cream to go with the bathroom wall color


And my favorite redo was this old Bread Box.  My mom and I found this great find at Tyme Worn Treasures.  The bread box was scratched and had paint chipping off it.  With a little sanding and a fresh coat of cream spray paint the box looked as good as new.  As a final touch, I asked an artist friend to paint the scrolled lettering on the front.  I love it!


Some keys to getting a good look from spray painting:
  • Clean the surface with soap and warm water and let dry completely
  • Tape any areas of the item that you do not want painted – take the time to do this first rather than cleaning up any mistakes later
  • Use quality spray paint.  I am a big fan of Rustoleum, it goes on evenly with no drips or runs, and dries quickly. As a rule, two coats, minimum, is best.

I have several other transformations I’ll show you in the future – both to my indoor and outdoor décor.

Happy spraying!

No comments:

Post a Comment